Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bad Time Management & the Patience of a 4 year old

Okay, so I've done this twice in a week. I've run to the grocery store "real quick" so I won't arrive somewhere early, only to arrive 15 minutes late. Today it was at the expense of swim lessons. I felt terrible. I ran to the grocery store, bought a bunch of refrigerated foods, picked up CZ, and had to run it to the fridge before we headed to swim lessons. I left the store at 4:30, swim starts at 5. What an idiot. I felt terrible.

"Charlotte, I'm so sorry, we are going to be really late for your swim lessons. I made a bad decision."
"It's okay mommy, it happens, it happens. What was the bad decision?" Charlotte asked.
"Mommy had bad time management. I just went to the grocery store, and I should have gone later," I explained.
"Like after swim lessons, that would have been better. But that's okay mommy, we will still be friends. Don't worry about that. These things happen. Next time we will go after. I will still get to see my swim teacher some and my new friend. It's okay mommy."
"Thanks sweet girl. I'll try and make a better decision next time."
"Mommy, I hate to tell you this, but don't drive crazy because the police man might get you. I hate to tell you things like this."
I was speeding. But, I adore my little rule follower. She is so thoughtful and meticulous sometimes. In some ways a lot like me, but not in this way.

We had 7 whole minutes of swim lessons with Mr. Kenneth. And, 30 extra minutes of playing with her "new friend" Noufal (from Indonesia). I had good conversation with his cute mom and had a good reality check of not being selfish with my time. And, CZ said she had "so much" time with her swim teacher and her friend.

Now a few notes on swim lessons....she is loving it! And, getting so much better. CZ is definitely not scared of the water, but also just the right amount of fearful. She gets right in and bobbs around. These are what I see as the accomplishments: completely floating on her back without help, with a noodle she will float on her back and kick the entire length of the pool with a little help, she will kick in the not too deep part (it seems like she is afloat/swimming) but she could still touch, she tries to get toys off of the bottom of the pool (even if she uses her feet so she doesn't have to go all the way under...working on that). And, my favorite part to watch was her playing with her new friend as they threw balls, made up new games, laughed, and talked about Max & Ruby that she watches at Ama's house. Her new friend is in first grade, but they were cute together. I'm proud of her and she is having fun. Last note, she LOVED loved LOVED having Grandpa take her twice last week. It was neat for them to have something special to do together and she adored their time together.

1 comment:

  1. From a swim teacher... I am SO proud of CZ! What a swimmer :)

    ReplyDelete