Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Life as a "Drastical Vagabond"

January 20, 2009
Life as a Drastical Vagabond.

Today was the first day that I had vagabond-like feelings. Where is my home? Pam reminds me that it is here, at Tanglebrook Trail. I had a quick freak-out session this morning, but luckily got over it quickly…with the help of Dee.

Friends make life so much easier. She called at just the right time and helped get me moving. We went over to the “rental property” and packed up all of the groceries, art, and lamps. Why is it “stuff” makes you feel at home? After hanging some more art, plugging in my radio, and turning on 5 lamps in one room, it feels like home. And, at about 3:00 Mimi knocked on the door to see if Charlotte could play for a little while. So far, so good. We are supposed to store up treasures in heaven.

But, I still think it is funny that your own things, pictures, pottery, books make this earthly home homey. It is feeling homey.

2 comments:

  1. Home is wherever you want it to be... :) It's where you make it...
    I'm happy your new place is feeling like home, and yeah - the random crap does help.
    By the way, I packed my lunch today. That isn't very drastical for me because I do it most every day. Not using a credit card...now THAT would be drastical!!!
    Getting off work by 5PM...THAT would be drastical!! NOT cleaning my house...THAT would be drastical! Eating the brownie without feeling guilty...yes, that would be DRASTICAL! Getting home in time to soak up some of the wonderful sunshine...even more drastical.
    Isn't it funny how drastical can mean so many different things depending on who we are talking about?
    I'm proud of your drastical life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear sweet Elizabeth,
    You are so blessed in so many ways. I am so proud of you for making the decisions you have made, for listening to that still small voice within, for dealing with "stuff", for holding your faith.
    As you know, I chose the path less traveled, moved by those words of Thoreau that haunted me in my college years that "most men lead lives of quiet desperation" and not wishing to go there, I held faith, and asked to be shown that God was real and how to know God.
    I let go of stuff early on; I now have stuff. I cannot say that stuff is fulfilling, but stuff makes my life easier and the only time it has taught me the true meaning of life is when I have lost it or given it up. You will survive.
    One of my happiest living spaces was my studio apartment in Oakland when I was working in a law office and going to school, with a kitchen about the size of a generous bathroom, a great space. But you know me, I am drastical. I loooove drastical.
    You are sooooo blessed! Your little Charlotte will be spoiled, yes, and loved beyond measure; Jesus would approve, I'm sure.
    When I was in 10th grade, before all traces of religion were removed from school, in the name of Literature, we read the Book of Job. If you have never done so, I recommend you grab your box of wine, a box of kleenex (or a roll of toilet paper if you can no longer afford the kleenex), and sink deep in a pillow with an apple (ha ha) and crack open the good Book to the Book of Job and follow the adventures of someone who loses everything; everything; and again, and continues to praise the name of the Lord. A real eye opener. "The Lord Giveth, and the Lord Taketh away, Blessed be the Name of the Lord".
    Cry, have a good laugh, look into your lover's eyes and realize how blessed you are; hold each other, support each other. Count your blessings. You have opened the door for the great adventure called life and in years to come you will look back on your choices with gratitude.
    You're the best!
    much love,
    Auntie J

    ReplyDelete